Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Royal Palace

The Royal Palace is the most strict place on modesty in Bangkok and probably in Thailand.  It is also pretty expensive to visit.  Our kids were free but each adult ticket cost 500 baht each.  That is $30 total!  So back to the modesty thing.  You have to wear closed-toed shoes and be covered down to your ankles.  Your shoulders also have to be covered.  We read somewhere online that there was a changing area there so we decided just to bring clothes instead of having to wear hot pants trudging around Bangkok.  While waiting in the rent modest clothes line (we thought this was a change into modest clothes line too) I asked if kids have to change or if they were okay in shorts.  The security guard said it was okay.  So that's good to know, kids don't have to change into pants to be modest when visiting temples.  If they don't have to do it at the Royal Palace, there is a good chance they won't need to anywhere else. ☺

Here is the entrance!


There are lots of beautiful things here, but something that Jason and I noticed... we felt like all the temples we have seen are starting to look all the same....



Beckham and Will posing by the door to... something... maybe a temple?  We had to take our shoes off and couldn't take pictures inside.
LOOK!  Flying Monkeys!!!! Maybe Wizard of Oz was on to something....

I took this picture before I knew that I couldn't take pictures... I liked the floor.

This was a door, I thought it was pretty cool.


I liked the turquoise in this one.


This was a mural on a wall inside this foyer-looking area.  It was my favorite.  It is this big monster-dog-pig thing with all these brave, gold warriors trying to fight it.  I guess now would be a good time to have a tour guide so I actually know what this is a picture of.  I'm sure there is a better name than a monster-dog- pig thing.

When we were about to quite and get out of the hot sun, we actually found something that looked like a palace.  In the basement of this building there was some super cool weapons that we weren't allowed to take pictures of.  Lots of spears used while riding on top of an elephant during war, and lots of old guns that kind of went from the beginning and how the evolved which was really cool to see.

There were guards everywhere!


Do you like that Jason is almost as tall as the one standing on the platform?!?

Although these guys are just trimming the trees, I couldn't help but sing, "We're painting the roses red, we're painting the roses red."



There was no water for sale here, and by the end, both our bottles of water were gone.  Luckily they sold juice and milk... still wasn't what I really needed but I should be grateful there was something. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment