Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Public Restrooms... They do exist!

There are things you should know about public restrooms in Southeast Asia...

1) When looking for a restroom, ask for a toilet.  Every place we went in Southeast Asia understood toilet but not any other name for a restroom.

2)  A lot of times there is no toilet paper in the restroom stalls.  If it is not, it is hanging in the place where the paper towels would be in a public restroom in the States.  This leads me to #3...

3)  Most of the time there is no paper towels to dry your hands off after washing them.  You may see people using the toilet paper to do it.  That never worked for me because it is usually the really thin stuff and falls apart in my hands when trying to dry them.  So what does everyone else do?  Trust me, I have nonchalantly/ secretly watched the locals to see what they did with this conundrum.  Most of the time they just walk out of the restroom shaking their hands or use the water to fix their hair or something like that.

If you happen to go to a restroom with paper towels, consider yourself lucky!

4) There are no diaper changing stations.  I think 98% of the restrooms I went to didn't have one.  There was one at the airport in Myanmar, but as I was changing my little guy's diaper, a cockroach ran across it!!!!  Gross!!!!

So what did I do you ask?  We would go to a corner near the hand washing area and Little One would bend over and touch his toes so his bum was sticking up in the air and I would clean him like that and then put his diaper back on while he was standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment